The following are APUSH LEQ example questions, which are part of our full-length AP US History practice test. These long essay questions are designed to be similar to those found on the actual exam. While you only need to answer one of these questions on the exam, you may want to write an essay for all three of these APUSH LEQ prompts as part of your test prep.
Directions: Select one of the three questions below to answer. In your response you should do the following:
- Respond to the prompt with a historically defensible thesis or claim that establishes a line of reasoning.
- Describe a broader historical context relevant to the prompt.
- Support an argument in response to the prompt using specific and relevant examples of evidence.
- Use historical reasoning (e.g., comparison, causation, continuity or change) to frame or structure an argument that addresses the prompt.
- Use evidence to corroborate, qualify, or modify an argument that addresses the prompt.
1. Coming Soon
2. Evaluate the extent to which technological advancements in the 20th century transformed American society.
3. Evaluate the extent to which the Civil War was a turning point in the history of the United States in the period from 1800 to 1877.
Question 1 LEQ Example